Sunday, December 21, 2014

Where to Buy Shoes.

A note up front. There are two types of IDEO's - the standard one and the "church brace version". For those of you who don't know what the church version is - as I understand it, it's basically a low profile IDEO, with one strut instead of two. People use the low profile for dress occasions, work, etc. because it's smaller - but you cannot run on it.  Having the low profile vs. the standard IDEO likely depends on your injury and a multitude of other factors but I wanted to point it out up front because what I will be discussing on my blog is for those who do not have the low profile church version.  Because of where I am with my injury, I only have the standard IDEO, so my choice of shoes remain in the hiking / tennis shoe section (& maybe other types of shoes as I discover more options!) Also, my injury is extremely sensitive to pressure changes so I have to be careful with the shoes that I pick-- it has to fit just right... it's a tedious process :)

Below is a list of stores that may offer a discount to accommodate different sized shoes:

Nordstrom has the following policy:
If you have two different sized feet and are ordering online, you will order two pairs of shoes (one in each size, but they must be at least 1.5 sizes different). You will be charged for one pair and will be asked to send back the shoes that you do not need for credit. If you have the need for only one shoe, a whole pair will be sent to you, and you will be asked to return the unneeded shoe. You will be charged accordingly for only one shoe.
The phone number to call for this program is (888) 282-6060. 

Note: If you order in the store, they follow the same discount and will let you get one pair in different sizes, without extra cost. 

LL Bean has the following policy:
LLBean allows people to order "split sizes"- the size difference can be anything from ½ size difference, and any width difference, to a women's size in one shoe and a men's size in another shoe. They charge 1.5 times the price of one shoe (for example, if one pair is $60, you will be charged $90). LL Bean ships the two odd sizes to you with no need to return the odd shoes. Both shoes in different sizes must be in stock when the order is placed, because they need to compare the shoes to make sure the colors match before they ship the "split size"pair. Please ask to speak with the Product Support Team when you place the order by calling (800) 441-5713 (Surprisingly enough, it LL Bean sells the NB 1210’s and Brooks!)


South Sound Running: Tacoma, WA – Let the associate know you wear the IDEO and they will sell you different sized shoes at no extra cost. :) These people are really nice and will ship the shoes out of state. (I live in Texas and I've had them ship me shoes before!)

Brown's Catalog will discount 20% off each pair and send you the two different sizes that you need.

Run On Retailer: My experience is that as long as you purchase Brooks, they will sell you one pair at full price and the second pair at half price.Your local Run On may have other discounts - explain your situation. It's worth asking!

Fleet Feet Bend, Oregon: For a $30 fee, Brooks will let Fleet Feet order mismatched shoes for people with different sized feet in length or width. Phone: (541) 389-1601 Note: I haven't tried this store yet, but it's another option and I'm all about options! http://www.fleetfeetbend.com/gear/medical-products

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, for the first time, I was able to find a pair of shoes that fit my IDEO and non-IDEO foot in the same size! (Wow!)

Salomon XA Comp 7W Trail Running shoes - Purchased from REI for $110. Salomon's are known for their wide toe box - super comfortable and durable too. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try!

A friend mentioned to me about using Zappos to purchase shoes online. They offer good discounts and free shipping so this might be a good way to purchase shoes once you find the ones you like. 

Another person on the IDEO facebook group shared this discount for Keen footwear - go there, make an account and request a code:  www.keenfootwear.com/pro

Still yet another option -- check with your local New Balance store for any discounts. Each one is locally owned so you never know unless you ask!
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoes currently in my closet:

New Balance MT 1210 (men's)
New Balance MT 1210 (men's)



Brooks Glycerin (men's)
Salomon XA Comp 7W (women's)


Those are my options for now! Does anyone else have any places they would recommend? 

#runhappy

3 comments:

  1. I am currently contacting company after company to see who offers what for split size needs. As soon as I get information I will send them to you. When you contact Keen they will give you a code for 50% off and you keep the extra shoes they recommended to donate to veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - that would be great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those going to the Center For the Intrepid or anyone in the San Antonio area, "We Run San Antonio" will sell mismatched sizes at no extra cost. They are very helpful and familiar with the IDEO. Down side- when I was there they were only offering in-store sales... nothing online. Maybe that has changed.
    Address: 23127 W Interstate 10 Ste 205, San Antonio, TX 78257 Phone: (210) 698-7600

    ReplyDelete